History

   The Furniture Store - Funeral Service

 
 
John Benson


Harold Benson

 
  
The Fourth Street Funeral Home

 
 
Bob Benson


Phillip Benson

 


John Benson bought the funeral home and the furniture store in 1905 from the Swanson family. John's son Harold started working at the funeral home in 1931, and in 1939 after spending several years at its second location at Eleventh St. and Third Av. where the Daily Globe now stands, they moved to a third location on Fourteenth St. and Fourth Ave. which was previously a private residence.

In 1943 John suffered from an accident fighting a fire; he died later that year causing Gus Benson (John's brother), Harold Benson, and Erwin Graf to form a new partnership. In 1945 Gus Benson was killed in car-train crash. His daughter Inez Madsen, also a mortician joined the firm; she retired in the 1960s.


In 1961 Jon Benson (Harold's son) joined the funeral home and became a partner in 1965. The furniture store was closed in the late 1960s as the Benson's decided to focus on funeral service. In 1967 Bob Benson (Harold's son) became a partner. Harold retired in 1975 and Jon retired years after.  In 1998, Lori Fauskee joined the staff as the office manager.


In 2000, celebrating 95 years of local and family ownership, Phillip Benson joined as a licensed funeral director, becoming a fourth generation director. In 2005, Benson Funeral Home moved into a new facility, which provides a larger gathering location for families. The new facility includes off-street parking, a chapel that seats 200, family rooms, and the ability to accommodate fine catered meals. Bob retired a few years after and Phillip became owner. 

 

 

 

 

 

In 2015, celebrating 110 years of our family serving our community, Alyssa Benson joined as a fifth generation licensed funeral director.